The Tuesday that follows Thanksgiving is known as “Giving Tuesday”. This is a great day to build a healthy Thanksgiving tradition. Giving back is one of the many ways that each of us contributes the greater good.
Science shows that this common practice can actually help you feel better, be more productive, feel more connected to your community – and even gain more wealth. Here are some helpful tips for how you can bring giving into your life this holiday season.
- At Thanksgiving, ask your family about their favorite charities. Throw a slip of paper with the name of each charity into a bowl or bucket, and at the end of the meal, have the youngest member of your dinner party blindly select one from the pot. Everyone who attends dinner makes a donation (however small) to that charity. Then you can post about it on social media and spread the word!
- Start a Facebook Fundraiser for Giving Tuesday! While Meta has changed the rules, and no longer covers the credit card fees for these fundraisers, their platform still provides a quick and easy way to build a fundraiser to get the word out.
- Make every Tuesday giving Tuesday! Set up a recurring donation for a small amount each week. It could be as small as the cost of a cup of coffee!
- Short on cash? Donate your skills! You would be surprised how many of your skills benefit your favorite charities. You could help them organize files, do some data entry, write some copy, or even stuff some envelopes. Most charities run on volunteer time! All kinds of work contributes to their ability to fulfill their mission.
At a loss for what charities to start with? Here are some charities that we think deserve a moment in the spotlight!
- Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ocean Future's Society. Their mission is to "explore our global ocean, inspiring and educating people throughout the world to act responsibly for its protection, documenting the critical connection between humanity and nature, and celebrating the ocean's vital importance to the survival of all life on our planet. This not-for-profit has been running strong for decades. With strong roots on Maui, Hawaii, they started a #mauistrong fund, ensuring that 100% of the fund finds its way into the hands of the people affected by Maui's recent devastating fires.
- The Surfrider Foundation thinks the ocean needs more friends (and so do we!). Through Giving Tuesday, REEF and Surfider Foundation are joining forces. Your donation (up to the first $100,000 received) will be doubled! https://www.surfrider.org/
- 1% For the Planet: When you visit 1% for the planet's website, you can review many brands that commit to provide 1% of their sales to charities that support the planet. This charity was founded by Patagonia's founder, Yvonne Choinard, and is committed to building a better future for all. They are even pursuing a Challenge Grant for 2023. They are matching $350,000 of funds donated directly to them by the end of 2023.
- Feeding America aims to end hunger in America -- and they are also running a Thanksgiving Drive Challenge Match. You can double your impact if you donate by midnight on Thanksgiving!